Read below article to learn how to play Ddakji.
Ddakji is a traditional Korean toy made of cardboard or plastic that is flat on one side and concave on the other. It’s about the size of a playing card or credit card and can be either square or rectangular. The object of the game is to flip and catch the opponent’s Ddakji tiles by hitting the top of your own tiles. The game requires skill and quick reaction time and is popular with children in Korea and other countries.
Table of Contents
Ddakji instructions – how to make a ddakji?
- Take a square piece of paper or a thin plastic or wooden plate measuring 7 x 7 cm.
- Fold the square diagonally in the middle so that it becomes a triangle.
- Fold the triangle diagonally again to get an even smaller triangle.
- Open the triangle again and now fold it horizontally in half so that you get a horizontal line.
- Open the paper again and rotate it 90 degrees, so the crease is horizontal in front of you.
- Take the bottom two corners of the paper and fold them up along the horizontal line so the two corners meet in the middle of the paper.
- Turn the paper over and fold the two bottom corners up as well until they meet in the middle.
- Gently grasp the paper by the sides and pull apart to form your ddakji.
Alternatively, you can also use a thin piece of plastic or wood, which you first fold in the middle to create a fold line. Then take the two ends of the tile and fold them up along the fold line so that they meet in the center of the tile. Now gently press the two ends together to form your ddakji.
How to play Ddakji?
Ddakji is a Korean game about knocking over your opponent’s checkers with your own checker. Here’s a quick guide on how to play:
- Each player chooses a tile and throws it one by one on the ground to determine the order.
- The game pieces are placed in the middle of the play area. A player starts by throwing their token at an opponent’s tile to knock it over.
- If a stone is knocked over, the player can take the stone. However, if the stone is not knocked over, it will remain in place and it will be the opponent’s turn.
- The winner of the game is the one who has the most stones at the end.
There are also different variations of the game, where different rules and objectives may apply.
Read more About Korean culture Here: Top 10 Current trends in South Korea